Nov 7, 2013

Austerity Designs

... On the Road of Irony
 
I have no idea how many votes that candor cost me, but politicians are suppose to be smarter than to say that something that just about everybody uses must be cut back severely for financial reasons, which is what I effectively did by saying that the expenditures for streets & roads should be reduced by half.  I am willing to bet that this statement that the media didn't let get by, of course, cost me some crucially needed momentum.  However, little did those who cast a vote against me for that reason know that I was actually the anti-austerity politician in Newcastle for two reasons:
 
  1. I was willing to raise taxes a little if there was a community consensus for that in order to keep streets maintained at the current level (that had been publicly known, however).
  2. The present Council is thinking about cutting street expenditures a whole lot more drastically than the 50% that I proffered (a plan which would still have left streets about one million dollars annually).  Now, there are plans simmering that could bring expenditures for streets as low as a hundred thousand dollars in 2014.  And you thought I was the austerity politician!
 
However, it is not easy to communicate effectively when statements cannot be brought to bear in short interviews with enough time for reflection, and thus the appropriate context, or even with it, the ability to make sure that it is actually seen through those who control the most widely seen print.  That's why money is important in elections, and your contributions for my congressional campaign would be greatly welcome and appreciated (see the boxes to the right for address information).  Thank you!

-- Mark Greene, Candidate for Newcastle City Council, Position 6

[revised on 11/7/13]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Stein Left